Relocation With A Child Outside of Florida

If your child has ever been subject to a custody proceeding (such as divorce, paternity, or temporary custody), then you are likely restricted in where you can move with the child under section 61.13001, Florida Statutes.  This law, known as the “Relocation Statute,” prevents a parent from moving a child more than 50 miles except under certain circumstances.

The first circumstance allowing relocation is if both parents agree.  However, strict requirements must be followed.  The agreement must:

  • Be in writing;
  • Reflect everyone’s consent to the relocation;
  • Include a time-sharing schedule for the non-relocating parent; and
  • Describe transportation arrangements for the non-relocating parent to see the child.

The Agreement must then be filed with the court and ratified by the judge.

If the parents do not agree to the move, then the parent seeking to move may file a petition to relocate, a process that also has some strict requirements.

If you have questions regarding relocation and you wish to speak with a child custody lawyer, call The Law Firm of Adam B. Cordover, P.A., at (813) 443-0615 or fill out our online contact form.


About Adam B. Cordover, Attorney-at-Law

Adam B. Cordover is a collaborative family law attorney and managing shareholder of The Law Firm of Adam B. Cordover, P.A. To learn more about The Law Firm of Adam B. Cordover, P.A. or to schedule a consultation, call us at 813.443.0615 or visit us online at Attorney Adam B. Cordover is admitted to the Florida Bar and the United States District Court, Middle District of Florida. His office is located at 412 East Madison Street, Suite 824, Tampa, Florida 33602.
This entry was posted in Family Law Explanation, Florida Statutes and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Relocation With A Child Outside of Florida

  1. Its great Really thankful to you for starting this. Thanks very much for sharing this.

  2. Pingback: Relocation Services and Moving Companies Blog » Relocation With A Child Outside of Florida | ABC Family Law Blog

  3. Pingback: Factors in Relocating with a Child | ABC Family Law Blog

  4. David says:

    Putting out a press release will get the folks interested in this site. The info is great and needs to be spread. A lot of people are unsure about what to do when a relationship breaks up.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s